Location: Flexible/ Remote – willingness to undertake international travel
Remuneration Range: EUR 51,600 – 69,600 per annum
Reports to: Head of Department: Building Movement Power
Apply by: 8 January 2023, 23:59 UTC
Climate Action Network (CAN) is a global network of more than 1,800 civil society organisations in over 130 countries driving collective and sustainable action to fight the climate crisis and to achieve social and racial justice.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional and national climate issues. CAN has regional and national network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
The Senior Global Campaigns Manager will take care of the below responsibilities in close consultation and cooperation with the Head of Department specifically and the wider CAN-I Secretariat team generally:
Support the strategic development and ensure the implementation of global network campaigns:
- Ensure that such global campaigns are part of the strategic plans of the network and is connected to the Nodes’ and members and their communities issues needs and their communities’ issues
- Ensure that the global campaigns are well integrated into CAN’s overall strategy and program of actions and interrelate effectively with other areas and priorities, and are an effective tool for our political and advocacy work
- Explore and apply new and innovative campaign approaches, tactics, and protocols
- Coordinate inclusive and strategic design and implementation processes of the campaign/s
- Identify research requirements to ensure evidence-based campaigning
- Deliver and coordinate effective campaign communications (incl. traditional and social media work) to achieve the campaign goals
- Develop and conduct campaigning and organising capacity-building programmes if and as required
- Development of especially campaign-related communications materials and ensure high editorial standards for all external-facing CAN international products.
- Build non-extractive partnerships and alliances, especially with grassroots movements to ensure impactful campaigning and achieve the campaign goal(s).
- Contribute to building the institutional campaign architecture and approach for the CAN network
- Provide guidance and support to the Nodes in their campaign strategy development processes
- Represent the secretariat in relevant meetings/events/ as appropriate
- Provide support to CAN-I fundraising and reporting processes
Support the coordination of other campaigns and communications-related work of the Secretariat such as:
- Coordinate with Nodes, allies and members creation of shared learning and communication spaces for campaigns to enhance solidarity toward building power
- Coordinate actions and activities in the multilateral spaces, including amongst others, Fossil of the Day
- Supporting the overall strategic communications for key priority areas as defined in the Secretariat work plan,
- Support the development of communications packages and tools for the above in coordination with CAN nodes and members across the network to help build capacity and visibility.
- Manage content and update CAN international website, social media channels and any applicable knowledge management tools used by the Secretariat.
- Liaise with other stakeholders and networks to ensure synergy with respect to messaging around key priorities.
- Proactive and reactive media work related to agreed priority work areas: preparing spokespeople, writing advisories and reactive media briefs
- Build and maintain relationships with key international journalists covering relevant the assigned priority areas of work
- In line with CAN’s renewed approach, provide strategic support in strengthening “the link between policy and people” in our work, and help to bring a more political nature into the spaces and strategies of the global work in CAN
- keep a good overview of Nodes, their work, institutional status quo and priorities to ensure that the work is embedded in and informed by a good understanding of Nodes and can thereby contribute to impactful network cohesion in a node-driven network
- Support and/or lead the organisation of online and offline workshops, trainings, and conferences as appropriate in collaboration with regional and national nodes and/or partners, including the coordination of logistics, the preparation content of events and the facilitation of specific sessions; and work with the CAN Secretariat in general preparations for and coordination of the network’s activities
- Complete required administrative tasks, and actively contribute to fundraising, reporting, knowledge management and monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts of CAN
- Other tasks as assigned by the line-manager as appropriate.
- Prioritizing the given work-time to the work of the organization.
- Recognize that each role and the actions of everyone in CAN reflect the organization, and therefore all staff carries the responsibility to guard CAN’s public reputation and avoid any disrepute to the organization.
- Uphold the obligation to confidentiality regarding any confidential information received through the work for CAN, as further specified in the work contract.
Job-related experience & knowledge:
- A degree in communications or other relevant fields
- Knowledge of CAN and its network is desirable
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in the field of international communications, mobilization and campaigning in the civil society sector
- Experience of coordinating a network of civil society organization is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in developing communications and campaign strategies and integrating those effectively into overall political strategies
- Experience in the climate change policy sector with demonstrated success in achieving global advocacy/campaign goals through effective communication
- Experience in political advocacy and ability to think strategically and analyze political and negotiation processes
- Experience in developing and conducting campaigning and mobilization training
- Knowledge of various international policy negotiations around climate change and prior experience with the UNFCCC
- Experience in working with and convening a range of stakeholders in global collaborations
- Demonstrated success in coordinating effective global media work on climate, shaping and influencing narratives
- Bring along a strong network of existing media relations to tap into
- A clear political understanding of the role of civil society and movements in addressing climate change, climate justice and the intersectionality thereof, and the ability and eagerness to apply that understanding in the approach to our work
- Ability to engage with a global membership and work with people from different cultural backgrounds, incl. cross-cultural sensitivity, patience and ability to work effectively in different socio-cultural contexts;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills: Ability to prioritize, adjust workload, juggle multiple assignments and meet or exceed deadlines, and willingness to work under time constraints and pressure;
- Keen to take initiative and leadership while being sensitive to the network- and bottom-up-driven nature of CAN
- Understands and values working in a flat organizational structure and enjoys engaging with other departments in the delivery of joined objectives
- Reliable team-player mentality with the ability to work independently and proactively;
- Problem-solver mentality, with the ability to adapt seamlessly to changing priorities;
- Self-reliant, self-disciplined and able to work in a global team
- Leadership skills to work with autonomy with a self-start mentality to manage client relationships and balance employee needs and concerns within the organization’s policies and goals.
- Excellent presentation, communication and facilitation skills;
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Able to synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Excellent people management skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of database-driven websites and online campaign tools and ability to drive online campaigns an advantage
- Sound knowledge in Microsoft Office, and additional office tools are considered an asset
- Previous experience in using online telephone conference tools such as WebEx, Zoom or similar, as well as online team and project management tools such as DropBox and Google Documents.
- Knowledge of database-driven websites and online campaign tools and the ability to drive online
- Familiarity with using online organizing tools
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English; Other language skills will be a bonus.
- Personal computer and reliable internet access.
- Strong identification with CAN’s values including but not limited to transparency, honesty, inclusiveness, empathy, solidarity and respect.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time, incl. the ability to travel for 2-3 weeks at a time.
● Send a motivation letter and CV as one PDF file to
email@example.com, with the subject line: Senior Global Campaigns Manager
●The deadline for applications is 8 January 2023, 23:59 UTC.
●Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
● CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.